Last weekend, I suffered a catastrophic carpet “event”. My sweet, but very naughty, Portuguese Water Dog managed to snag a 6 pound raw chicken off my kitchen counter that was beautifully marinating in the finest EVOO, 10 cloves of garlic and fresh garden herbs. My darling beast then proceeded to carry the chicken onto the wool carpeting in my guest bedroom to enjoy her prize. The fact that I had dinner guests arriving in 1 hour, and house guests arriving later in the week did not help to dispel my panic. I returned home to discover an absolute massacre of chicken parts on my carpet—blood, marinade, and various parts of the chicken anatomy—and, of course, adding insult to injury, a dog that was now contaminated in raw chicken.
I'm sure we have all been here before, in one way or another. Just remember, in times like this, don’t panic and follow these steps:
- Pick up any chunks and solids (whatever your case may be)
- Blot up any residual moisture
- And for the hardest part…do nothing & leave it for the professionals!
My carpet cleaner, Dave from Showcase Cleaning & Restoration answered my panicked call and came over the following weekday. Professional cleaners use products that contain enzymes which help release the stains and have the equipment to fully extract them from the carpet fibers. Spot cleaning can actually set the stain if not done correctly. Here is the result of his visit:
Here are my suggestions for great carpet care:
- I love Folex for the occasional spot cleaning. It’s available at hardware stores, select grocery stores, and of course, Amazon. Fabulous stuff that works well on both wool & nylon products. Just don’t forget to use clean water and dry towels to remove any residual cleaner and absorb any remaining moisture.
- In the event that you don’t have any Folex, use a very small amount of dish soap in solution with a cup of cold water to gently remove the stain. Blot the area dry with a dry towel.
- Never “rub" a spill or apply force to a stain. Instead, be gentle on your stains by blotting at them.
- In times of crisis, or routine maintenance, Dave from Showcase Cleaning is your guy! Tell him Ambiance sent you.
- Buy wool! I know that this stain would have never come clean on a nylon carpet. Seeing is believing, and makes wool worth every penny.